How I got Here
- I found myself at my first mountain bike start line the year after I was in a near fatal mountain bike crash. I was determined to become a better bike handler so I would unlikely have a repeat event. I started racing not to race, but to meet women who were shredders to ride with. Now, entering my fifth season as an elite mountain biker, I race to challenge myself and connect with women to share my passion for the sport with.
- I simply love to “play bikes” and believe the most joy and progression in mountain biking is found in a community. I co-founded KS Kenda Women’s Elite MTB Team in 2018 to create what I dreamed of being a part of; a community of serious women racers who mentor and promote each other. The teams first year exceeded all expectations and is rolling into the second year with a ton of momentum.
Passing the Torch
- Problem solving technical terrain features is where I find my advantage when racing. I watch many women being held back in the sport due to undeveloped bike handling skills, fear, and a belief that they are uncapable of improving. After working with countless women on the trail and pre-riding race courses learn to ride obstacles, I joined Wenzel Coaching to teach mtb skills clinics. Being able to helps others gain confidence riding trail and expand their vision of what is possible is my devious plan to get more women at bike events and races.
Paying the Bills
- Mentorship is the heart of what drives me; as an athlete that is brains AND brawn, I am professor at Central Oregon Community College teaching in Vocational Medicine.
- I have been racing in the elite ranks for four seasons after winning my first USAC sanctioned race, Sea Otter XC Cat 1 Women in 2015. Since then, I consistently place in the top 15 at Pro XCO/STXC events and Epic Rides Off Road 50 milers. In 2019 I plan to focus on the Epic Rides series, two MTB stage races, and will race Pro XCT’s with my team to contend for the MTB Nationals Pro Women’s Team title. I also race regional events through the season including gravel grinders and cyclocross; which is religion in Oregon.
- Click here to view my race results and proposed 2019 race schedule.
- 8th – 2018 Epic Rides Off-Road Series Pro Women Overall
- 11th – 2018 USA Cycling National Championships Pro Women XCO
- 2nd – 2018 Quebec Single-Track Experience MTB Stage Race Open Women
- 2nd – 2017 Downieville All-Mountain World Championships Pro Women
- 2nd – 2016 Breck Epic MTB Stage Race Pro Women
- 1st – 2016 USA Cycling Fat Bike National Championships Pro Women
- Social Media @emmamaaranen
- Team KS Kenda Women’s Elite MTB Team
- Email email@example.com
- Post 1117 NW Federal St. Bend OR, 97703